Anfänger
Hast du eine Ape: ja
Ape Model: 50
Baujahr: 2012
Km-Stand: 0

Top of back shock absorber missing?

Beitrag von tinustate » Montag 19. Juli 2021, 21:48

Gutentag,

Please excuse the use of english, i can understand and read deutsch but i'm still learning to write and speak the language.

I've got my hands on a ape 50 europe from 2012 last year and I'm using it as my daily commute, i really love driving the little thing, every time it is a big adventure. It makes driving fun again.

Lately i've been noticing a clanging noice from the back, pushing down the back resulted in a bouncy car making me think the shock absorber was broken. So i ordered a new one at casa-moto-shop which was delivered today.

To prepare for the switch i removed the little pads at the top of the shock absorbers and was suprised what i saw, i took a few pictures of it and attached them to this topic.

Right shock:
20210719_213413.jpg
Left side:
20210719_213421.jpg
Right side seen from below
20210719_213437.jpg
Now i'm wondering if the shock absorber is broken at all or that the problem is just the top rubbers and parts missing [board/shok.gif]

Should i just replace the top rubbers and parts or should i play safe and just replace the entire shock absorber?
Du hast keine ausreichende Berechtigung, um die Dateianhänge dieses Beitrags anzusehen.

Schau dir das mal an !!
wok
fachapeist
fachapeist
Ape Model: ZAPC 80
Baujahr: 2002
Farbe: rot
Km-Stand: 48000
Extras: lange pritsche
Motortyp: 2 Takter
Setup: 25 km/h drosselung und freiwillige zulassung
keine getrenntschmierung

Re: Top of back shock absorber missing?

Beitrag von wok » Montag 19. Juli 2021, 22:34

you can have a look in the cage underneath maybe there is the screw and the slice there
i have had this a few days ago and this stuff was still in this cage.

you can press the spring with a special tool or with an lashing strap with hooks
https://www.google.com/search?q=zurrgur ... =544&dpr=3

Se-Ku
Fortgeschrittener
Fortgeschrittener
Ape Model: Ape 50 (ZAPC80)
Baujahr: 2010
Farbe: Blau
Km-Stand: 5000
Setup: Originale 50 ccm mit 56 HD

Beitrag von Se-Ku » Montag 19. Juli 2021, 22:38

As you already noticed there are some parts missing. The top of absorber should look like this:
Screenshot_20200411_171508.jpg
I really wonder that you were able to drive without the rubbers and the attached nut.

Only buying the rubbers, the washer and the nut is the much cheaper solution. But if you have the money and the current absorbers are not new I would recommend to exchange both absorbers (right and left) and check the mounting position on the right side for serious damages.
Du hast keine ausreichende Berechtigung, um die Dateianhänge dieses Beitrags anzusehen.

wok
fachapeist
fachapeist
Ape Model: ZAPC 80
Baujahr: 2002
Farbe: rot
Km-Stand: 48000
Extras: lange pritsche
Setup: 25 km/h drosselung und freiwillige zulassung
keine getrenntschmierung

Beitrag von wok » Montag 19. Juli 2021, 22:44

@Se-Ku
witzigerweise ist mir das nur aufgefallen, als ich die ape angehoben habe und der stoßdämpfer herausgefallen ist.
beim fahren hatte ich nichts bemerkt, bin aber froh, daß ich es entdeckt habe bevor schlimmeres passiert ist.
ich war nur völlig irritiert, daß so etwas überhaupt passieren kann.

tinustate
Anfänger
Anfänger

Beitrag von tinustate » Dienstag 20. Juli 2021, 11:06

Mein dank fur die hilfen ! [thank_you.gif]

Today i reserved an entire day to fiddle on the shock absorber, but it was done within two hours. I'm starting to like ape's!

First i removed the parts that were missing from my new shock absorber which was very complete:
20210720_094002.jpg
Next i jacked up the car to take a better peek and possible damage, surprisingly the shock absorber was loose and i could add the first rubber on the top through the spring:
20210720_095857.jpg
After this i attached a strap to the existing spring:
20210720_101817.jpg
Next i very slowly lowered the car making sure the spring and shock absorber stayed in the correct position:
20210720_102309.jpg
Finally i used the strap to compress the spring:
20210720_103057.jpg
And climbed in the back to add a little more extra pressure while tightening the bolt at the top of the shock absorber, not really sure about how tight it should be but i took the other side as a example:
20210720_103003.jpg
A little test ride on the very bad road in front of the house resulted in a very smooth ride without any clanking noise.

When you push the right side it still is a bit jumpy but much less than before, i guess the shock absorber might have taken a beating but hasn't died yet.

And indeed now i understand what happened better i'm very happy that the spring and shock absorber didn't come loose while driving, it would have been a disaster ! I'm still not sure how all the parts disappeared...

[crazy_pilot.gif]
Zuletzt geändert von tinustate am Dienstag 20. Juli 2021, 11:12, insgesamt 1-mal geändert.

HammerBlau
Foren Legende
Foren Legende
Vorname: Friedhelm
Hast du eine Ape: nein

Beitrag von HammerBlau » Dienstag 20. Juli 2021, 11:08

Um alle nicht mit meinen Englischunkenntnissen zu erheitern und weil der TE geschrieben hat, dass erauch in Deutsch mitlesen kann:

Du schreibst "broken" ( gebrochen ) - und es sieht so aus, dass der obere Teil der Dämpferstange mit dem Gewinde abgebochen ist. Es kann aber auch täuschen.

Se-Ku
Fortgeschrittener
Fortgeschrittener

Beitrag von Se-Ku » Dienstag 20. Juli 2021, 12:04

tinustate hat geschrieben:
Dienstag 20. Juli 2021, 11:06
First i removed the parts that were missing from my new shock absorber which was very complete

When you push the right side it still is a bit jumpy but much less than before, i guess the shock absorber might have taken a beating but hasn't died yet.

Your current absorbers look very old. It seems that you already bought a new one. Why didn't you change the complete absorber?

And indeed now i understand what happened better i'm very happy that the spring and shock absorber didn't come loose while driving, it would have been a disaster ! I'm still not sure how all the parts disappeared...
I think the nut wasn't adjusted tightened enough or the rubbers became less voluminous over time.

tinustate
Anfänger
Anfänger

Beitrag von tinustate » Dienstag 20. Juli 2021, 16:35

@Se-Ku the new shock absorber looked a bit different when compared to the old one, a tiny bit smaller, but i'm not 100% sure. I remember the website said that i ideally should replace 2 sides at the same time, so i didn't know if having 2 different shock absorbers on each side was a good idea.

I opted for trying just the top parts with a option to order a second one next month. In the meantime i can search for a place where they sell the top parts separately and hopefully replace the 2 back shock absorbers at the same time.

Regarding the nut not being tightened enough if that was the case i would have found the metal ring lying in the metal area exposing the top of the shock absorber ( download/file.php?id=28829&mode=view ), but there was nothing in there. The little nut can likely fit through the hole but the rubber ring and the metal ring are way too big. Makes me wonder... [Dontknow.gif]

But the good news is that i just came from a 40 km trip and no problem at all, a really smooth ride !

Se-Ku
Fortgeschrittener
Fortgeschrittener

Beitrag von Se-Ku » Dienstag 20. Juli 2021, 16:58

The original Piaggio shock absorbers for Ape 50 look different to typical after market absorbers from RMS, Carbone and Co. And yes, you should replace both sides at the same time.

Poison_Ivy
Werkstattmeister
Werkstattmeister
Vorname: Kristy Marlana
Baujahr: 2009
Km-Stand: 4377
Extras: Renn-Kupplung mit Kupfer-Lamellen bestückt, VDO Bus-Tacho, Windschutzscheibenheizung, Audi-Wagenheber aus Leichtmetall mit integriertem Kurbel, vergelbte Scheinwerferbirnen, Richtungsangeberssummern und Nebelbeleuchtung hinten

Beitrag von Poison_Ivy » Dienstag 20. Juli 2021, 17:19

Evidently, the previous owner, or even the factory, was careless in assembling the shock absorber properly. If the lockwasher is missing, it's only a matter of time until the nut works loose. Before self-locking nuts were invented, two nuts were used to secure shock absorbers. The first nut was the thick one and the second or final one was a thinner counter nut. The assembly was held together, through tightening one nut over the other. Modern shock absorbers of quality now use self-locking nuts.
If I were you, I'd inspect the other shock absorber mounting

Antworten